Sunday, September 14, 2014

Maybe a Mighty Fine Time at the 2014 State Fair of Texas drinking Funnel Cake Ale with Fried Gulf Shrimp Boils

Those are the BIG BOOTS of BIG TEX you are looking at on the left.

Big Tex stands guard and greets people at the State Fair of Texas.

It was from Big Tex I learned to use the phrase "mighty fine time" after I heard Big Tex greet me with something like "I hope you have yourself a mighty fine time at this year's State Fair of Texas."

I don't remember for sure, but I think you may hear the big guy say mighty fine time in the video below that I compiled from that year's State Fair visit.

The State Fair of Texas, also known as the Texas State Fair, starts up in a couple Fridays, September 26 to be specific. The Fair runs through October 19.

Earlier this month the winners of the Big Tex Choice Award were announced. The Best Taste Award went to Clint Probst's Fried Gulf Shrimp Boil. The Most Creative Award went to Justin Martinez's Original State Fair Brew – Funnel Cake Ale.

I believe this is the first year State Fair of Texas visitors under 21 years old can not sample one of the Big Tex Choice Award winners.

To read the details of what makes up a Fried Shrimp Boil and Funnel Cake Ale, along with descriptions of the fried concoctions which did not win, go to the blogging I blogged last month about the Big Tex Choice Awards titled The State Fair of Texas 2014 Big Tex Choice Awards This Year With Beer.

I do not know if I will make it to the 2014 Texas State Fair. My last visit I parked in a remote parking lot from whence I was delivered to the Fair's entry gate via a Trinity Rail Express train. That was fun.

I could take a TRE train to Dallas, and then hop the DART train line which goes directly to the State Fair of Texas. That might be adventurous. Or possibly all sorts of aggravating.

If you have yourself a mighty fine time watching the video below, please note that that is not Big Tex playing bongos you hear throughout the video....

No comments: