Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Big Tex at the State Fair of Texas Being Too Cautious About Ebola

I saw that which you see on the left on Facebook a few minutes ago via the marathon runner who calls himself Mr. Spivey.

There seems to be some over-reacting going on to America's first Ebola case being in Dallas.

Not just Texans and those of us who live in the Dallas vicinity are over-reacting. I have detected some over-reacting on Facebook from Facebookers located as far from Dallas as the state of Washington.

I know Big Tex has become a bit of a hypochondriac after he went up in flames during a previous State Fair of Texas, so I guess the big guy putting on a germ blocking mask makes sense to him. But I really think Big Tex is over-reacting.

I would think a bigger health danger at the State Fair of Texas is presented by the consumption of any of the 2014 Big Tex Choice Awards Finalists.

Fried Siracha Balls? Deep Fried Texas Bluebonnet? Fried Gulf Shrimp Boil?

Which I believe was the Best Taste winner this year.

Deep Fried "Breakfast for Dinner"?

Which I read yesterday goes for 18 coupons. Coupons cost 50 cents each. Math is not a forte of mine, but I think that works out to being 9 bucks for a Deep Fried "Breakfast for Dinner".

I believe the cheapest of the Big Tex Choices is 17 coupons. I don't know if the Most Creative winner, Original State Fair Brew - Funnel Cake Ale is 17 or 18 coupons.

I also do not know why, for sure, so many events in Texas do not do straightforward transactions using American currency, but instead you have to turn American currency into coupons if you want to eat something fattening or get on a carnival ride.

I was told, years ago, that the reason for the coupons was that it was hard to find temporary fair help who could make change. But you could find help which could count coupons. At the time this made no sense to me. But, I have now been long enough in Texas to see why the coupon payment method simplifies matters sufficiently for just about anyone to master....

No comments: