Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington

The first time I rode a ride in Six Flags Over Texas, in Arlington, was memorable to me not due to any ride I rode, but due to it being the day that John F. Kennedy, Jr. went missing and presumed dead due to his plane not arriving in Hyannis Port as expected.

The lines at Six Flags have TVs on overhead. So, that day the ongoing JFK, Jr. story dominated the line waits.

The first time I visited Six Flags that which you see on the left perplexed me. I wondered if it was supposed to be some sort of Texas version of the Eiffel Tower. I inquired as to what it was supposed to be to learn it was a viewing tower made to look like an oil derrick.

The view from the top looks all the way to the skyline of Dallas to the east. I don't remember if the skyline of Fort Worth can be seen from the observation deck.

You can go to my Eyes on Texas website's webpage about Six Flags Over Texas for photos of the view from the Derrick Tower observation deck, and other photos of Six Flags, plus oodles of Six Flags Over Texas information.

When I moved to the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex zone I figured I'd be getting myself an annual pass to Six Flags. I figured wrong. I have been to Disneyland so many times I don't know how many. If I lived in the Los Angeles zone I know I would get a seasons pass to Disneyland, hence figuring the same for Six Flags.

Well.

I have been to Six Flags twice. Both times due to getting free passes. The first visit was so disappointing I never went again til years later when that second free pass arrived. Multiple things we not up to my Disneyland level expectation, most of which I mention on my Six Flags Over Texas webpage.

Six Flags Over Texas is located about six miles east of where I live.

If I got another free pass to Six Flags would I go again? Maybe. It has been at least 8 years since I've walked through the shabby entry. I am sure improvements have been made....

No comments: