Monday, October 27, 2014

Texas Legend Ima Hogg

Ima Hogg.

No, not me. The lady in the portrait is Ima Hogg.

This morning after I voted for Wendy Davis to be the next governor of Texas for some reason I thought of Ima Hogg. At that point in time I thought I remembered Ima Hogg was the first female governor of Texas.

Upon returning to my computer I quickly learned Ima Hogg was never governor of Texas, but she was known at "The First Lady of Texas" and that Ima Hogg was a well respected Texan for much of the 20th century.

Ima Hogg was born on July 20, 1882. Ima Hogg lived until August 19, 1975. Ima's dad was known as "Big Jim" Hogg.

Big Jim was the governor of Texas from 1891 til 1895. It was at Big Jim Hogg's instigation that the notorious Texas Railroad Commission was formed. Voters approved an amendment to the Texas constitution to create the Railroad Commission.

Big Jim Hogg died in 1906, at only 54 years old. Big Jim was a big landholder in East Texas, land Ima Hogg inherited. Early in the 20th century oil was discovered on the Hogg land, leaving Ima an extremely wealthy woman. Ima Hogg used her wealth to become a well known philanthropist and collector of the arts.

Ima Hogg was embarrassed by her name. If she was required to sign her name Ima would scribble her first name. On stationery Ima would have her name printed as Miss Hogg or I. Hogg.

I have long known of Ima Hogg. I always thought Ima had a sister named Ura, as in Ura Hogg. Turns out Ima Hogg having a sister named Ura Hogg is an urban myth.

Ima had 3 siblings, none of whom was a Ura. But they were all Hoggs.

No comments: